Junior Surf is about developing tomorrow’s lifeguards and is an ideal way for them to develop and improve their surf lifesaving knowledge and skills for themselves, and one day possibly for others. At the same time, they will have a ton of fun and some good, clean, healthy physical exercise and learn to be safe on the beach.
- Papamoa’s Junior Surf programme is designed for 5-14 year olds (as determined by the age the child is on September 30).
- Age groups have their own dedicated coaches who will oversee the activities and teach those all-important beach skills.
- Junior Surf is on every Sunday 10am-12pm over the summer months starting on 1st November 2020 and finishes mid-March 2021.
- Sessions incorporate both beach and water based activities dependent on time of year and surf conditions.
- Over the season there are various carnivals that children (7+) are encouraged to attend and at the end at the end of the season there is a Club Championships for all Pāpāmoa Surf Club members aged 5 +.
- There is no obligation to attend every week
Required Uniform includes:
- Club Beanie
- Long Sleeved Rash shirt (or high vis singlet if the child has their 200m badge).
These items are available from the club at Registration or at Sunday sessions.
- Wetsuits may be worn on colder days
- Parents are requested to accompany children to Junior Surf.
- Parent help will be required throughout the sessions both on the beach and in the water.
- Please let your coaches know if you have children in different age groups and will be going between age groups.
Interested in Coaching?
We are all Volunteers – if you are keen to take the journey and learn along with your kids then we would love to hear from you.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
200m SAFETY BADGE POOL TESTING ( From 9 Years and up):
We hold preseason 200m pool testing sessions to enable Juniors to achieve their 200m badge.
Juniors MUST achieve their 200m badge before they can train or compete in water events which go beyond waist depth.
- Required to participate in open sea and board training
- Swim 200m of competent, non-stop freestyle stroke followed by 1m of treading water
- Beginner pass time is 7 minutes however coaches can stop children taking part if they are not confident that a child is not strong enough of a swimmer to tackle conditions.
- This is a mandatory safety requirement.
- This must be repeated yearly.
This is logged with Surf Lifesaving New Zealand.
CANCELLATION & POSTPONEMENT PROCEDURE
In the case of a cancellation, or postponement, our Junior Surf committee will post a notification of by 8.30am on the Junior Surf Facebook page (click this link)
OUR PROGRAMMES & PATHWAYS:
JUNIOR SURF – NIPPERS PROGRAM
WHO: 5-14 year olds **age as at midnight on the 30th September
WHEN: Every Sunday from 10.00am-12.00pm over the summer months.
STARTING: November (see Important Dates Calendar below) and will finish mid-March 2021
Two exciting programmes aimed at extending the surf sports skills of Junior Surf members will be running alongside the Sunday programme. Preparing our athletes for a number of fantastic events culminating in the Junior Eastern Regional Competition in Gisborne in January 2021 and the National “Oceans21” competition in Mount Maunganui in February 2021.
Links below will take you to specific programme information:
OCEAN DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
WHO: 8-14 years old
OCEAN ATHLETES PROGRAMME
WHO: 10-14 years old
ROOKIES – JUNIOR LIFEGUARD PROGRAM
WHO: 12-14 years old
Positive, safe, fun, healthy and educational for participants
Increased beach and water safety awareness
Participants learn new skills
Pathway to becoming a Junior then Senior Lifeguard
Remember to bring:
Sun-block – plenty of it
Towels and warm clothes for when they come out of the water
Loose change for the sausage sizzle & coffee cart!